Our Vision (Long-term Desire)
Southminster Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), growing our faith in Jesus Christ, is rooted and reaching in faith, service, and community.
Our Missional Purpose
In response to the everlasting, boundless love and grace of God through Jesus Christ, Southminster Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) cares for all, and uses its diverse gifts to grow in faith and community through education, worship, music, and faithfully serves God and our neighbors throughout the world.
Our Core Values and Practices
- We value and honor traditions, yet remain open to innovation and opportunities for the sake of our vision and mission.
- Guided by the Holy Spirit, we value exploring the many ways to achieve a well-balanced spiritual life and grow as Christians within community.
- We value the continual Christian formation of all ages, which includes inter-generational opportunities for all members to be involved in mission work locally, nationally, and internationally.
- We value a form of Christian community where all may be welcomed, accepted, respected, heard, and valued.
- We value the communal worship of God through a variety of forms, styles, places, times, and music in order for worship to be expressive of the people of God known as Southminster.
- We value above all else the grace and love of Jesus Christ who frees us to serve and share the same grace and love with the world.
Our Connection to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Southminster is a member of the Presbytery of Milwaukee along with other Presbyterian churches in the southeast corner of Wisconsin. Each church is allowed the number of ministers on staff plus an equal number of elders to act as commissioners at four scheduled Presbytery meetings.
The Synod of the Lakes and Prairies includes our Presbytery and 15 other Presbyteries in Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa. Ministers and elders represent each Presbytery at the meetings of the Synod.
The sixteen Synods of the Presbyterian Church (USA) comprise the General Assembly. Two ministers, two elders, and one youth delegate represent the Milwaukee Presbytery at the biannual meetings of the General Assembly.
Southminster, as a part of The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), is in full communion with: the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the United Church of Christ, the Reformed Church in America, the Moravian Church (North and South Provinces), and member churches of the World Communion of Reformed Churches. We are also in Covenant Partnership with member churches of Churches Uniting in Christ , and a deepening Ecumenical Agreement with The Episcopal Church.
Adopted by the Session 11/24/15